Monday, June 23, 2008

The Cure at Madison Square Garden



June 23rd, 2008

Some musicians age gracefully. Others wither and fade. Some slip through the cracks of unknown oblivion doomed to obscurity and the shelves of yesteryear.

The Cure have stood the test of time, and have stayed as musically relevant as ever. It was a long and arduous road to get to my seat at Madison Square Garden on Friday night.

The journey began when I was thirteen and I met one of the most important friends of my life... I am speaking of my comrade and lanky counterpart Kristin. She played The Cure for me and I was enchanted. It meant so much to me... because it was a window into her psyche... it was who she was and how she felt. I didn't necessarily relate.. because I wasn't a mopey goth teen (well... not completely..) I was an angry goth teen (see the subtle difference?).

The first song I ever heard by the Cure was "Burn" on the Crow soundtrack... then I advanced through countless songs and albums. The HUB of my Cure experience laying within Disintegration. Arguably one of the best albums ever released.

Then, as the years passed, schools changes, friendships evolved... the music stayed. The meaning of each song burrowing deeper for me as time passed. I can go on instant and total memory recall every time I press play.

Seeing the Cure LIVE wasn't just one evenings performance. It was a time machine. I got to relive some of my happiest moments. Some of my saddest... all worth more than any concert t-shirt- or the hefty cost of the ticket itself. Seeing the WHOLE of MSG filled with people of varying ages- all singing along.. all recalling their own lifetimes... (whether long or short). That was a gift.

The set was unspeakably perfect. Robert Smith has NOT aged gracefully. In fact he looked rather ghoulish (I am being shallow here... but let me finish). What I will say for the man is although he may not be the cute little perky goth boy of yesteryear- his voice is still angelic and unchanged. The sound was still upbeat yet visceral. He was still vibrant and as full of life as ever and that is the real test of time. He is still Robert Smith... and I still want to just MASH his cute little voice and spirit up and keep it in my unicorn jewelry box! haha.

Nostalgia was constantly rearing its head as Kristin and I sat side by side... both of us still feeling that gothy teen girl in us. Millions of songs and 3 encores later... we finally admitted we were "old" ladies and had places to go.. so we exited before the massive crowds ensued during "Boys Don't Cry". Which saved some time... but it also meant we missed 10:15 Saturday Night and Killing an Arab. D'OH! It's ok though.. that just means that ghoul of a man boy BETTER tour again!!!!

Here's the Set List:
Underneath The Stars, Prayers For Rain, A Night Like This, The End of the World, Lovesong, To Wish Impossible Things, Pictures of You, Lullaby, Fascination Street, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, The Perfect Boy, Hot Hot Hot, The Only One, Wrong Number, The Walk, Sleep When I'm Dead, Push, Friday I'm In Love, Inbetween Days, Just Like Heaven, Primary, Shake Dog Shake, Charlotte Sometimes, One Hundred Years, Baby Rag Dog Book

1st encore: If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, The Kiss

2nd encore: Freakshow, Close To Me, Why Can't I Be You?

3rd encore: Boys Don't Cry---
I missed:Jumping Someone Else's Train, Grinding Halt, 10:15 Saturday Night, Killing An Arab

No comments:

Post a Comment