Monday, September 14, 2009

Rasputina at The New Brooklyn Knitting Factory

She was dressed in a matronly gown, reminiscent of a medieval midwife, in a muted black and maroon color palette. Her hair was down in long coordinating red locks, and long strands of deep rust colored yarn fell at the sides of her head. As she turned sideways, I was able to fully appreciate the berth of her body carrying her little one. The normally corseted Melora Creagor, in all her pregnant glory walked upon the stage, and set me to smiling widely as I thought, "My God, she is a lovely pregnant woman...". It made me wonder how she would be able to play the cello with such a low hung pregnant belly! As Melora took her seat, I learned a bit about pregnant cellists, for one- that it doesn't effect their playing whatsoever, the cello is held in such a way that there is no true pressure applied to her youngun, and finally, that while the mother plays, THAT baby has the BEST SEAT in the house!

To reiterate, I have been a fan of Rasputina since I am 14. I’ve seen them countless times and have NEVER had a negative experience. Last night was no exception, only it was SLIGHTLY better than usual. How so? Well, for one, it was more relaxed than I had anticipated, considering it was in Williamsburg. I was grateful for it being relaxed, namely because this was my first time going to see Rasputina alone. I don’t mind solitude, but, there is something a little sad about going to a concert by oneself. For one, you can’t really LEAVE your spot (for fear of losing it) and well, I detest not being able to share my excitement with someone. This night, however revealed a little glorious surprise for me, that my love of Rasputina trumps any feeling of isolation and loneliness I could’ve mustered. Sure, the waiting for them to go on in silence wasn’t much fun, but the second Melora, Daniel, and new drummer Julia entered the stage, all my negative thoughts melted away and revealed a calming, centering experience. I felt as though the musicians were playing alone with me, their delicious cellos, voices, and rhythmic notes ringing in my sternum with rigor.

This show was an “all request” performance as in fans were asked to email the band the song they wanted to hear performed that night. They opened with a song I have never heard live before, “Dig Ophelia” which pleased me GREATLY especially considering it was the song I requested they play! My face cracked open into a jack-o-lantern smile and stayed as such for the bulk of the show. The rest of the set list was equally exciting for me, hearing some old favorites, being pleasantly surprised by some exquisite new covers, as well as hearing 2 brand new songs! (Incidentally, we are ALL in for a treat with the new album’s release!) Melora even cast her cello aside for the tinny pluckings of a BANJO! The music was so perfect, each song sparking another emotion and memory within me that I was like a giddy school girl. There I was alone, mouthing all the words to the songs and dancing as discreetly as I could manage, learning then and there one glorious benefit of going to a concert alone, you can act like a fool and no one you care about is there to judge you!


I am glad that I didn’t let the risk of loneliness keep me from attending this show, especially considering it will be their last for a long while. The general vibe of the performance was so welcoming, so inviting, and, a constantly smiling Melora, in particular seemed to glow with reverence and appreciation. This warmth may have been generated by her beautiful maternal disposition, or maybe it was the years of less well-run and well-received concerts under her belt, but I would like to think it was those things, plus us, the audience that helped to make such a tender environment to experience the music of Rasputina in. The Knitting Factory turned into a big cozy womb with charmingly eccentric music playing all around its babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment