Wednesday, February 18, 2009

So, they're calling it the NINJA tour...



Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails have confirmed that they are indeed touring with each other in commemoration to Nine Inch Nails' 20 years in music...

They've dubbed the tour the "NINJA" Tour... and will kick it off at the Sasquatch Festival this May in Washington, of all places. I am excited as much as I am terrified. These tickets will be impossibly hard to get. I can feel the anxiety, nausea, and stomach spasms starting already- and they haven't even announced official tour dates yet! This nin concert ticket anxiety is something I will not miss.

I'm saddened by Trent's decision to put NIN on hiatus, but, I got to admit, I am a little relieved too. This hiatus will give me the opportunity to develop muscial tastes OUTSIDE the realm of Trent's recommendations . I know this may sound strange to you, but he truly is one of the biggest musical influences in my life. A good chunk of the music in my repetoire is due to Trent Reznor's persuasion. David Bowie, Queen, Bauhaus, Jane's Additcion, Marliyn Manson, A Perfect Circle, Queens of the Stone Age, Atari Teenage Riot, The Dresden Dolls, Rasputina, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, MIA, Sigur Ros, TV on the Radio, Ladytron... the list goes on and on people! The man has never led me astray... and for that, I am grateful. But now I want- no NEED to move on... I have been in this fanatical "relationship" with Trent Reznor since I am 10 years old.

Now, I want to expand my horizons beyond the scope of Reznor's recommendations and/or reference. I have my OWN tastes that deserve to be satiated. Pandora is one avenue that has been most helpful in the road to enlightened musical inspiration. Sirius XM is another powerful tool. I've mentioned acts that have inspired me before, so I won't bore you with mentioning more- I'd rather bring up other subjects and questions surrounding NIN's hiatus that are plaguing my thoughts...

Is Trent feeling the pangs of irrelevance? Is this the reason for the hiatus? Will he pursue solo ventures with a more varied sound and style? Will he walk down the path of the instrumental? Is he launching the Year Zero TV concept with HBO? Will he disappear all together, move on in his life, finally settling comfortably into anonymity? Will he return to the role of producer?

Surely, he can't stop making music all together?

The thing that I cannot get over is, once again, I am on the same page with my hero. We are both finally ready to move on and wave goodbye to Nine Inch Nails. They will always be my "favorite" group. Trent Reznor will always be my music man. I just want to say "thank you" to him. He has given me so much these last 16 years... but, there's a big world out there, and there are a lot of things I'd like to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment